Follow by Email

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day two.
Slept well. The party was marvelous. The group of mostly expat friends (with a Canadian & an Irish for good measure were all quite interested in meeting mother so she was in her element with a whole new audience to whom she could recount her stories. Virginia was quite surprised when she arrived at the party and, fair to say very shocked to see mother!

Lovely fruit plate followed by the Mexican equivalent of lasagna which, while a bit much for breakfast, was delicioso! Dessert, tres leches. My favorite. All accompanied by a trio of singers with guitars.

At 13:50, I packed mother into a cab for the 15 minute ride to the Clinica Hemodialysis, conveniently located on some as yet to be identified floor in the middle of the Sanitorium Dorango. After the initial interview, which covered ALL the info I'd emailed last week,  and 30 minutes of her having several more people to tell everything to without seeming to realize or care that they had little, if any clue, they whisked her off to the treatment room & wouldn't let me go. Perfect!

I asked the English speaking one to tell her I couldn't follow, give her her book &, tell her I'd be back in 3 1/2 hours. It took me longer to find my way back to the street than it did to walk back to the hotel! 

The last guests were leaving and Pilar took Himself & me for a walk to the main boulevard to see the statue of winged victory. We wondered back through the Pink Zona (yes... Gay Gheto. Complete with big signs to either tell you you've found Shangrala or to warn you away) and we caught up with Ruy at the Plaza del Angel, a massive antiques mall that has about 100 extra vendors set up on the sidewalks & stairs on Saturday. 

After browsing a bit, Himself & I headed back to the hotel and I struck off for the Clinic. Again, it took less time to walk here (10 or 12 blocks sort of) than it did to find the clinic. Mother is of course not ready so here I sit in a waiting area that is down a 1/2 flight around a corner, down a passage & up a flight. I may never find her again.

I've found it very comforting that instead of 'in case of fire, do not use elevator' the signs here all say, in several languages, 'Do not use elevator during earthquake or fire.' ...NOT!

Himself has turned out to be very excited that I left my wallet at home. I've been out without him, past numerous shops, galleries & markets & have come home empty handed. He has decided, and I confess, not without demonstrable experience, that my forgetting my credit cards may save us upwards of $1500. Poor Amex! I may from hence forth be required to leave home without it!

When I get mother back, we'll hop a cab to the hotel and have her rest for an hour then, Ruy, Virginia, and Deanna will meet us to go to dinner. 
(Mother just called to tell me 10 minutes. She sounds fine.)
Not sure where we're going but there's talk of an old hacienda. Tomorrow, brunch & a walk about and Ballet Folklorica after dinner.

So far, so good. Perhaps we can travel a bit more with the mamma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment